Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Canon's new line up!

So Canon today just announced some new and pretty exciting things!

First the 7D, which sits somewhere in between 50D (which sucks) and 5D2 (which is awesome). It has 18 mp crop sensor with 8 fps. Perhaps what is most exciting about the camera is that Canon built a brand new AF and metering system - 19 cross type points! Oh and as an added bonus it has built in wireless flash control (so you can do off camera lighting without buying a master flash or expensive remote triggers!). Finally Canon is doing some really cool stuff to catch up to Nikon (this really competes well with Nikon D300 in my opinion). Check out the hands on from DP review: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090104canoneos7dpreview.asp

Canon also announced 2 new EF-S lenses, one is a potentially awesome replacement for the less-than-stella 17-85: EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. It also announced an EF-S 18-135 IS as well: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090103canon15mm28mm18mm135mm.asp

While I can't use either of the lenses, I am very interested in the third lens they announced, a new 100mm macro (an L at that). But this one... with IS! It's the first lens with their new hybrid image stablization system that offers up to 4 stops of stablization for normal shots and 2 stops for macros. Suppose to be priced just over $1K which is about 400-500 more than the non-L 100mm macro makes it a very tempting choice. One of my biggest problems with the macro is that I always need to bring out a tripod to hand hold it since the slightest movement is magnified when doing macro work. This lens could turn out to be very interesting indeed :). So anyone want to buy my old macro lens ;)?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090102canon100mmmacro.asp

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the 50D sucks. Noise is waaaaaay too high, and you can even notice it at only 400 ISO. I was sorely disappointed with it. I hope they know what they're doing when they jam packed 18MP into a tiny little APS-C. I hope the noise will be much lower than 50D, which IMHO, pales to 40D (which I really like) in low light shooting conditions.

    As for the 100mm macro with IS, you gotta get it. I have the Nikkor 105mm VR and I never had to use a tripod for any of my product shots, which is extremely convenient. Every product shot comes out crystal sharp. But with VR off, you seriously need a tripod. It's also amazing as a head-shot lens like the 85mm, but with stabilization! So, go get the 100mm!!! This one from Canon is one-up the notch from the Nikon version.

    Kudos to Canon for making products better than Nikon! Competition drives innovation.

    ReplyDelete