Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My new baby is home....

For those of you who followed my rant a few weeks back... then you'd know how I borrowed a friend's EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS lens on my Washington trip and dropped it from about waist high while changing lenses.  Luckily I had the lens hood on so no major damage to the actual glass. The impact did however cause the lens to "lock up" (IS and AF seems to spaz out and then goes dead) in portrait mode.  Today I got "my" lens back from Canon... Apparently the lens contact was busted (which is what causes the communication error and the lens to spaz out) and they also reworked the Image Stabilizer assembly, cleaned it up, recalibrate it etc etc. All in all... it only cost $158 dollars. Yes that is right... $158 to repair my dropped L lens.... I don't know about you, but I'm EXTREMELY happy considering this L lens costs over one thousand dollars new... I was expecting like a $300 repair bill or something insane but $158... that I like :).

Oh in case you are wondering, I am keeping the lens. I bought my friend a new EF 70-200 F/4 L IS as a replacement (and he gave me 40 bucks cash to compensate for the price difference). Looks like everyone is happy. Now I just need to sell off my EF-S 17-85 F/4-5.6 IS. Any takers ;).

1 comment: